We provide comprehensive care for patients with thyroid (thyroid cancers, Graves disease, multinodular goiter, thyroid cysts and nodules), parathyroid (primary, secondary and tertiary (renal) hyperparathyroidism) and adrenal diseases (pheochromocytoma, Cushing's, hyperaldosteronism, adrenal tumors and adrenocortical carcinoma), including genetic syndromes (MEN 1, MEN 2A, MEN 2B, FMTC and others). Care for each patient will be coordinated with endocrinologist. If patient does not have endocrinologist we will recommend one in your area. Genetic counseling will be provided for every patient with genetic syndrome. We conduct monthly Endocrine Tumor Board that is specifically designated to discuss ongoing care for each patient with complex diagnostic problem. Tumor Board is a multidisciplinary conference with participation of endocrine surgeon, endocrinologist, pathologist, oncologist, genetic counselor, radiologist or nuclear medicine physician, and endocrine oncology nurse navigator. We also have monthly Thyroid Cancer Patients’ Support Group Conference (for next scheduled Patient Support Conference please call my office and ask for Megan)
If you are coming for a PARATHYROID consultation, please bring the following laboratory data and tests results:
- serum Ca (2-3 test results preferred to establish history)
- serum PTH (2-3 test results preferred to establish history)
- serum electrolytes
- serum Vitamin D level
- Bone density study
- 24-hour urine calcium
- Sestamibi scan, (Please bring the films as well as the report from the radiologist)
- Neck / Thyroid ultrasound (Please bring the films as well as the report from the radiologist)
If you are coming for a THYROID consultation, please bring the following laboratory data and tests results:
- Serum electrolytes
- Thyroid Function Tests (TFT’s): TSH, free T4, T3
- Neck / Thyroid Ultrasound (Please bring the films as well as the report
- Any neck imaging studies (CT or MRI) (bring the films and report)
- Thyroid biopsy results if any
- Thyroid Iodine Uptake Studies (nuclear medicine study) if any
If you are coming for an ADRENAL tumor consultation, please bring the following laboratory data and tests results if available:
- Measurements of your blood pressure and heart rate at any time over the last several months (if available).
- The list of your blood pressure medications.
- All blood and urine tests, especially important following if available: serum electrolytes, blood catecholamines and blood metanephrines, blood chromogranin A level, blood ACTH level, Dexamethasone suppression test (if available), blood renin level, blood aldosterone level; 24-hour urine catecholamines and metanephrines, 24-hour urine cortisol level.
- Abdominal CT scan, MRI (if available), MIBG scan results and disks (films) (if available).
- Result of adrenal venous sampling (for patient with primary hyperaldosteronism) if available.
Dr. Shifrin Mentioned in Meridian Health Annual Presidents Update
Jersey Shore Medical Center, in collaboration with the Center for Thyroid, Adrenal and Parathyroid Disease led by Dr. Alexander Shifrin, leads trials investigating genetic changes in patients with endocrine cancers such as thyroid and pancreatic cancer.